Monday, April 22, 2013

Madagascar Sour

     The Madagascar Sour is a drink I have always wanted to play with since I got the book, Cocktails, by Douglas Ankrah. His book inspired me a lot especially for the craft cocktails containing aged rum. I especially like his favor for Bacardi 8.
     The drink seemed simple enough, the hardest part would be to make the vanilla simple syrup. Easy enough after infusing some raw sugar with vanilla essence and cooking down with boiling water, we have our syrup. As his recipe is in tablespoons and for multiple cocktails I have interpreted as follows;



Madagascar Sour
1.75 oz. aged rum (Pyrat XO)
0.75 - 1 oz. lime juice
0.5 - 0.75 oz. vanilla syrup
- shake and strain


A great Daiquiri variation with a definitive vanilla note on the finish and a nice sharp lime bite up front. Pyrat rum helps to round the cocktail out with its citrus notes as well as the aged rum blend.

No comments:

Post a Comment