Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Twelfth Amendment

     Last month or so I had an after dinner drink at the I.O., a favorite cocktail bar of mine in the Old Market of Omaha that had originated as the first Indian restaurant in the state as well as the region. As I had already partook in a smoky Zaya cocktail at the new Berry &Rye I was up for a digestif per say. I chose to mix rum, as my love of sugar-based spirits never abstains; but I also wanted some Fernet-Branca. It's like a drug, the first time you have Fernet-Branca, it may not be your most pleasant, but then after, you crave it more and more. So a ratio of 2 oz. to 1/2 oz. seemed appropriate. It was a "good" cocktail, but not great at all. The term "blasphemous ," was even thrown around the bar.
     A month later I find myself at the I.O. which hosts the monthly gathering of Libation Association. After an hour or so of rum-soaked learning we convene to the main level for our complementary cocktail. A little discussing later with my man behind the stick,Brad Kinkade, he enticed me with a working cocktail off of my faux pas from my previous visit. A drink that's name was debatable between our left-right politics, I came to the conclusion that the Twelfth Amendment was suiting. 
     I must say Brad found a way to make an "eh" drink great.



Twelfth Amendment
2 oz. Pampero Aniversario
1 oz. Fernet-Branca
1/2 oz. spiced honey syrup
1/2 oz. lime juice
-shake and strain


No comments:

Post a Comment