Thursday, April 12, 2012

LBC Mule

     My first Last Word was first sipped at my favorite drinking spot, the I.O. Speak, in Omaha's Old Market area. This drink gave me a great appreciation for Chartreuse, as I now drink it often. I found the sourness to be pleasing as well, I do love a sour drink.
      As I searched the Old Market more I found an agricole rhum version at another now favorite of mine, The Boiler Room. The strained the drink over crushed ice and used a rosemary garnish. I liked the new play on words, as it was called The Parabla, they also introduced house-made falernum into their rendention. Both are great drinks in my mind.
(this is the Last Word as presented at a new bar in Benson; Lot 2)

     For a third try I ventured home to Des Moines, Iowa on a one day trip to get away. At the newly opened  Americana Bar I sampled the Blake's Sage. The description sounded the closest to what I was looking for but as with most drinks there it's base was vodka. An easy switch to New Amsterdam gin and this produced a drink very much like a Last Word with way more herbal flavor. With some preperation the ginger- black peppercorn syrup wouldn't be a setback at all. Muddled with fresh cucumber, mint leaves and basil with the gin and lemon juice, now that's a drink right down my alley. 

     And for my creation for the herbal gin drinks, I have been pouring what I call the LBC Mule for over two years. It adds a great amount of herbal notes to the classic Gin Buck. 
    
LBC Mule
1.5 oz. Tanqueray Gin
0.5 oz. simple syrup
2 dashes Angostura Bitters
juice of 2 lemon wedges and 2 lime wedges
1 Tblsp. chopped cucumber
4-6 mint leaves
1 large basil leaf
- muddle, shake and strain over crushed ice
top with gingerale
lime, mint and/or basil leaf garnish

No comments:

Post a Comment