Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Vieux Carre Veritas

    I decided to try my hand at the ever famous and somewhat forgotten cocktail, The Filmograph. I mixed up proportions that I felt appealing to me; 2 oz. Cognac, 1 oz. Kola Tonic, and the juice of 1 lime.
     The drink was so damn tart I could barely handle it, and I am a guy that loves the sour drinks. I found a dash a bitters really opened it up regardless of the type of bitters, I chose Fee's Black Walnut Bitters, as it was the newest to the bunch. It worked rather well to add some complexity and cut the sourness. Not being 100% pleased I thought of another idea and ran with it. 
   Having a few left over ingredients in the cupboard made me think that a Vieux Carre with a mix of Rhum Agricole,VSOP Cognac, a healthy dose of Stirrings Orange Bitters as well as Fernet Branca with just a dash of grapefruit bitters made sense. I do love the citrus forward drinks as well as the herbaceous undertones that Fernet adds. A nice backing of Martini & Rossi Sweet Vermouth helped to round out the cocktail. And within a flash of say 50-60 stirs I'd say we have a great, quick, complex rendition of that bitter classic that we all love so much.



Vieux Carre Veritas
3/4 oz. Remy Martin VSOP Cognac
3/4 oz. Barbancourt 8 year Rhum
3/4 oz. Martini & Rossi Sweet Vermouth
1/4 oz. Fernet Branca
1/4 oz. Stirrings Orange Bitters
1 dash Fee's Grapefruit Bitters
stir and strain

No comments:

Post a Comment