Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Horn of Plenty

     Awhile back I purchased a tea mixture from my local Teavana. The mixture of Citrus Lavender Sage and Golden Mojito was light and refreshing.Not being the huge tea drink that I am not I took the sales lady's advice and decided to use it in a cocktail. I immediately remembered the Earl Grey Mar-Tea-Ni. To round out the fruit salad feel I added a pungent Strawberry Pu-erh. Researching the recipe for the Earl Grey cocktail I noticed how the drink was more of a gin sour and less of a martini than I had expected. I thought that maybe a more traditional blend will allow the flavors to release better, rather than hide them among a sour mixture.

      After the three hour steeping process and a day to really allow the botanicals to mix I came up with this cocktail.
Horn of Plenty
2 oz. tea-infused gin (New Amsterdam)
3/4 oz. Cocchi Americano
1 barspoon Stirring's Orange Bitters
1 dash Fee Bros. Grapefruit Bitters
- stir with ice and strain

     The first sip was pulsing with fruit flavor and a somewhat tangy after taste. The bitters worked extremely well with the tea and gin mixture. I was a little weary of using an all alcohol recipe but the result was light, refreshing and all together a perfect cocktail.

No comments:

Post a Comment