Saturday, July 14, 2012

The Bywater Cocktail

    The path through amaros doesn't necessarily have to be a bitter one. As I dig deeper and deeper in to the world of bitter liqueurs I find the fascination more and more compelling. Wanting to play around with my ever favorite ingredient, rum, I came across The Clermeil and The Bywater Cocktails. Unfortunately in my area we are lacking the ever elusive Allspice Dram so the next best will have to do.
Bywater Cocktail
1 3/4 oz. Angostura 7 year old rum
3/4 oz. Green Chartreuse
1/2 oz. Amaro ( I chose Zwack for its cinnamon and orange notes)
1/2 oz. Velvet Falernum
stir and strain

     The end result was a rather herbal concoction with the Chartreuse shining through on the nose. The initial sip reminded me of an intensified rum and Coke with an herbal finish. I could definitely come to like this one. I did use an orange zest for garnish due to availability but decided a lime twist would work much more nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment