Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Old Fashioned

     Following the classic recipe for the Old Fashioned I concocted a drink as per the Vintage Spirits & Forgotten Cocktails book called. I chose instead of bourbon to go with a nice tasteful rye, Bulleit being my  favorite. 

     And next I tried it with the "original" recipe; omitting the orange zest for a dash of orange curacao. 

     The scent is lacking in the orange aroma, which I figured would happen. The drink is more palatable for my taste taming the bite of the rye and rounding out the cocktail with a hint of bite on the end. Either way I find the Old Fashioned a great way to start or end the night.

Old Fashioned
2 1/4 oz. rye
1 tsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. water 
2 dashes Angostura bitters
1 dash orange curacao (optional)
stir and strain
1 large orange rind garnish (optional) 

No comments:

Post a Comment