Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Blackberry Shrubbery


So I decided to try my hand at some shrub for a chance. I made a simple blackberry simple syrup from fresh fruit and simple syrup. I then added nearly equal parts vinegar(2/3 aged white wine vinegar 1/2 distilled white). For the first try I started with 2/3 oz. shrub as I wasn't to keen on the vinegar. I added a little ginger syrup and cut the base half rum and half gin, and then topped it with ginger ale. The flavor was very muted and strong on the ginger. So after about a week I altered the recipe to something a little more gin and shrubbish.
     The new mix was very tasty with a slight aged flavor from the vinegar oddly enough. It turned out very light and refreshing with the right amount of richness and botanicals.




Blackberry Shrubbery
2 oz. New Amsterdam Gin
1 oz. blackberry shrubb
1 dash Angostura bitters
fill with Ginger ale

No comments:

Post a Comment