Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Burning Disc

     Nero, if you couldn't tell was the play on words for this one. I wanted a cocktail somewhat similar to my "Blackjack" variation http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=6088040748378857600#editor/target=post;postID=4074608372104303395 . But I was looking for a drink with a bitter undertone but still well rounded that I could use to complement a "spicy" ale. I chose Pepe Nero by Goose Island for the peppercorn tones that are infused within this farmhouse ale. Pairing these two drinks together feels good. On the palate the beer pops with loads of flavor leading into a slight bitter but pleasant bite. The sip from the cocktail works well as the sugars come forward to mellow that said bite. And the bitterness from the Cynar comes through quite nicely to round out the experience.
     I tried this mix the opposite way, with cocktail first and chasing it with beer, but find it not to my liking. For this drink to work it must be beer first and then a sip of the cocktail. The reverse simply does not work well. All in all it's a great end to a good night. And I give you:



The Burning Disc
1 1/2 oz. gold rum (Bacardi Gold)
1/2 oz. Velvet Falernum
1/4 oz. Cynar
1/2 oz. coffee concentrate
-stir and strain
serve with a dark ale (Pepe Nero)

No comments:

Post a Comment