Thursday, May 10, 2012

Bacon Bourbon Old Fashioned

   Let's start with a week long venture, to recreate a drink only described in detail. A flavorful mix of infused bourbon, house-made syrup, and muddled herb that will hopefully taste as amazing as it sounds. At a local music and craft bar venue (The House of Loom) my girlfriend had this cocktail and described its deliciousness to me. To recreate this drink in my own setting I set ahead to infuse the whiskey for the five days it requires.

     Upon reaching the deadline of infusion I bought the necessary ingredients to make this flavorful old fashioned. I created a rather easily made fig-simple syrup, strained the bacon fat out of the bourbon and grabbed an old fashioned glass. Mixing it to my liking proved difficult as the bacon bourbon was so overpowering. I could barely taste the fig-syrup or the muddled sage. But without haste Lisa proclaimed it better than her first experience. And so we have the....


Bacon Bourbon Old Fashioned
2.5 oz. bacon-infused bourbon ( I used Bulleit)
1.5 oz. house-made fig syrup
1 dash bitters (I tried both Angostura and Aztec Chocolate)
                    - The Chocolate bitters gave a better flavor
2 sage leaves (muddled in the bitters)
*stir and strain
skewered fig and sage leaf garnish


No comments:

Post a Comment